Tuesday, April 8, 2014

RPG and Tabletop Gaming Confessions

I was introduced (abducted) into RPGs in 1977 during a church youth group event.  One of my friends had played a few times before and had planned a sleep over marathon session featuring an experienced DM (who had run two games) and my buddy, the newbie DM.

Like many D&D players of the time, my reading list was packed with the classics: Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Howard, Leiber, Lovecraft, Heinlein and like minded perverters of youth.  My friend figured I'd fit right in.

We left the church at about 9 p.m. in a snow storm, got the house of the host and started rolling up characters.  When the morning came we were still playing and the roads were totally closed.  A few phone calls to our parents, some pancakes, and the five of us were back to the basement.  We switched DMs, rolled up more characters and continued until late afternoon.  More phone calls to get permission to sleep over again (!!!), some sandwiches, and back to the original DM.  At about 3 a.m. we all fell into a D&D coma.  Up again in a few hours, ate breakfast (what were those parents thinking?!?!), made more calls to get picked up and then back to playing.

Even 37 years later this session still gets talked about with awe by the people who were there and those who heard about it.

Needless to say, I was hooked.


No comments:

Post a Comment