Thursday, April 17, 2014

Justification 101

Why now?
After a 15 year layoff from D&D, why return to an old version (1e-2e)?  There are several reasons , but they all reduce down to a lack of time.

1. My players: half of us have kids and very active (demanding) family lives.  We don't have the time to play once a week for 6 hours straight anymore.  The best schedule is once a month for dinner and a game.  This is set up well in advance to eliminate most non-emergency changes.  "Aunt Edna is having an Arbor Day celebration." "Sorry, had this dinner and game scheduled since February... 2013."
2. The Newer Games:  I love the concept of GURPS and have bought tons of material from all of the versions of the game.  I've been a playtester for three books and helped in a very minor way on one other.  I understand the realism in the combat system and the variations that can be used to make it more abstract.  The problem is with scalability.  It take me way too long to scale a challenge for any gurps game. 
As such, Abstract = Faster = Better
3. The Old Games:  Since I'm a packrat I still have most of the old notes and maps from 1999.  By modifying some old modules to fit the current campaign I have eliminated the majority of my work while still creating something "new" for my players.

In addition, two of my friends who haven't played in 15 years will be playing tomorrow.  They had no desire to learn a new system but are eager to go old school.

No comments:

Post a Comment